At Selective Seconds, we are driven by our passion for quality resale and our commitment to our customers and employees, creating a win/win atmosphere of service, pride and trust.
Founded in 1997, Vena attributes her success to networking with other resale shops and having great employees. “This business brings people together that truly love resale.” Vena says. She believes her success today is entirely due to support, friendship and knowledge of others. “It’s a good feeling knowing this business is all about doing good.” Five things Selective Seconds does to help is:
- They help people save money by offering them clothing and accessories at substantial savings,
- They help people earn extra money by consigning and selling their gently used items,
- They promote recycling to help the world,
- They donate clothing & accessories to non-profit organizations to help the less fortunate, and
- They help charity organizations through their “charity accounts” where organizations can open an account where multiple people donate their items to that charity account and Selective Seconds writes a check each month to that specific organizations. Click here to learn more.
Selective Seconds was founded in 1997:
Hi, I’m Vena Holden, owner of Selective Seconds. In the early 1980’s, I was a single mother (no college education), working as a legal secretary. I had to be thrifty, riding the bus to work downtown, and shopping resale to dress in a professional environment. In 1997, I had the opportunity to rent a small commercially-zoned house in Mooresville, IN for $350/mo. With only $1,000, I bought used fixtures and opened Selective Seconds while working full-time at the law firm. I learned about NARTS and began networking with successful resale shop owners. I tried new things and took risks. I was able to buy the commercial property in Mooresville and opened a second location in Greenwood, IN (afterwards, sold first store but kept property).I continue to network and learn ways to improve my leadership and the business. On a personal note, I am passionate about resale and helping other small businesses. I am married to Art Holden, also a small business owner. Art owns All About Boats on Lake Lemon. Our son Will works as a graphic designer for Dreams Unlimited Travel (the DIS). Will is married to Tiffany Perry, who joined our team full-time in Jan. 2016 and is now the manager of Selective Seconds.